The Buckeye Public Library was founded in 1925 as a home library service by the Buckeye Woman’s Club. It would find its permanent home nearly a half-century later.
Kell Park at Sixth Street and Eason Avenue was the site approved for the Buckeye Public Library in 1971. Kell Park had been deeded to Buckeye May 10, 1960, by Cora Mae Kell Bowser, executrix of the estate of Cora J. Kell. This property had been homesteaded by Bowser’s parents, Kell and Herbert Edward. It was their wish that it be used as a city park, especially for children’s use.
Today, the Buckeye Public Library consists of the Downtown Library, Coyote Branch Library and the Roadrunner Bookmobile.
The library is planning a celebration of its 100th anniversary April 30, and during the month of April will be gathering photos, stories and memorabilia to place in a time capsule. The anniversary celebration is 4-7 p.m. at the Coyote Library.
